Starting a self care regimen can be a bit daunting at first but it shouldn’t be. If you take away nothing else from what I’ve said, remember this: Self-care is all about making yourself happy by doing the things that make you happy.
I have brainstormed some ideas of what can go into your plan but ultimately your plan should be tailored to you. What do you value? What’s important to you? What do you love to do? What’s something you want to try? Drawing a blank?
Here are few ideas to get you started:
- Start a daily positivity log. Write down compliments you received, good things that happened to you, things you are thankful for.
- Do that one thing that’s been on your “to-do” list forever, go do it.
- Be a slacker. Plan a few minutes of “downtime” throughout the day to just decompress and take a breather
- Create a new habit such as going to bed early. “They” say it takes 21 days to form a habit so be consistent.
- Reflect and meditate at the end of the day.
- Be selfish. Say no to things you don’t want to do. Do one thing everyday just because it makes you happy.
- Purge. Clean out your closet and get rid of things you don’t wear. Give the house a thorough cleaning. Edit your social media feeds, and take out any negative people. You can just “mute” them; you don’t have to delete them
- Unplug. Our phones are our lifelines, but sometimes they are the source of so much chaos. Take it back to the simpler days of no electronics.
- Help someone. Carry a bag, open a door, donate to charity, give change to the homeless person on the street
- Designate time to spend with your loved one(s). Game night. Movie night. No distractions dinner.
- Random Dance Break – Turn on your fav song and get it. Or hum it in your head and bust a move in the elevator like I do.
- Yoga – Stretch out those muscles.and release that tension. Yoga also promotes meditation and mindfulness so this a 2 for 1 deal
- Exercise – Have y’all gotten tired of me saying that yet? Run, walk, ride a bike, swim there are so many ways to exercise. Find one that fits your health and lifestyle.
- Make one small change to your diet for every week. You could drink an extra glass of water, try a new veggie, do meatless meal days etc.
- Aromatherapy!!! Yall know I love my candles lol. Find a scent that relaxes you. Could be a flower, a candle, a spray, a food lol.
- Take a quick nap. I started taking naps again in college. It took me 3 years after graduated to get used to not taking a nap everyday after work and I’ve now reinstated daily naps (Thanks MG!)
- Self pamper at home. Take relaxing bath with a bath bomb and oil. Soak your feet. Give yourself a facial. Pretend you’re at a spa.
- Talk to yourself. If you were your best friend, what would you tell yourself right now? Look in the mirror and say it.
- Look for beauty around you. Try to find five unexpected beautiful things on thorough the day. A flower, the sunset, clouds, street artwork
- Journal: Write out your thoughts and feelings.
- Splurge a little. You work hard, you deserve it.
- Have a self-date. Go out to eat, see a movie, visit a museum. You’ve got to love yourself in order to show others how to love you
- Ego-stroke. Do something you’re good at. What better way to make yourself feel good than by flexing your strengths.
- Have a good laugh. Watch a funny movie or show on tv, read a funny book, call that friend that always makes you laugh.
- Plan a weekend getaway. Unplug and relax..
Ok. that’s it. Time to stop talking about it and be about it. Let me know if you try any of these ideas or if you do something in your self care regimen that’s a little unique. I’d love to hear about it.