Non Toxic Disinfectants for those who want to Fight Flu Season Naturally
Flu season is here and with a new vengeance. The coronovirus COVID-19 has taken the world by storm. I’m sure I’m not the only spoonie worried about this epidemic.
Navigating flu season with an autoimmune disease is tricky. Had to do some research on the best non toxic disinfectants to kill germs.
More Susceptible to the Flu
Anyone with an immune system that is not fully developed or weakened are more vulnerable to flu viruses and flu complications. This includes children and infants, pregnant women and those with chronic autoimmune diseases.
A Spoonie Immune System
Your immune system is defense when it comes to fighting off infections and diseases. Those of us with autoimmune diseases have wacky immune systems. It perceives our normal cells as foreign cells.
Imagine there being a fight and members of the same side are fighting each other. Then the real enemy comes and is easily able to take over because they were attacking the wrong people.
Our bodies can’t tell the difference between itself and the foreign cells (viruses and germs). When your body’s defense system isn’t working right, you’re ability to fend off infections like the flu is weakened.
To add injury to insult, some medications used to treat autoimmune diseases, like prednisone, are immuno-suppressments. They give viruses another leg up by weakening the immune system.
Fighting Germs Without Chemicals
I’m sure there are some skeptics in terms of how well non toxic disinfectants really work.
First let’s note that there are levels to this ish. Okurr? Cleaning removes dirt and germs from surfaces. Disinfecting kills germs on surfaces. Sanitizing lowers the number of germs on surfaces.
As a general rule of thumb, ALWAYS clean then disinfect.
Store Bought Non Toxic Disinfectants
Y’all know I love Target. So I walked right on in to see their selection of Natural Disinfectants. At my location they only had Seventh Generation and Method. I went ahead and copped the Seventh Generation wipes and spray. I took those to work with me because work is a cesspool of germs.
5 DIY Disinfectant Recipes
For the home, I wanted to do a little DIY. So I looked up a few non toxic disinfectant recipes to make my own disinfectant spray and wipes. Most of the materials needed are common household items.
Rubbing Alcohol Disinfectant
- Add 1:1 ratio of water to alcohol in spray bottle
- Spray and let dry!
Borax Disinfecting Spray
- Fully dissolve ⅓ cup of Borax in 8oz of warm water
- Spray on surface. Let sit for 2+ minutes. Then wipe.
Lemon Juice and Borax Disinfectant
- Dissolve 2TB of Borax in 2 cups of warm water
- Add ¼ cup of Lemon juice
- Pour mixture into a spray bottle
- (Optional: Add 20 drops of essential oil)
- Spray on surface. Let sit for 2+min then wipe off excess
Hydrogen Peroxide Disinfectant
- Add 1:1 ratio of 3% hydrogen peroxide to water
- Spray on surface. Let sit for 2+ min then wipe off excess.
Lemon Vodka Disinfectant
- Fill a mason jar with lemon peels and then fill to the top with vodka. Put on the lid and screw tightly shut.
- Let marinate for 7-10 days.
- Remove lemon peels.
- Add 1:1 ratio of lemon infused vodka to water in a spray bottle.
- Spray and let dry!
Other Ways to Stay Safe
- Hand washing. I find it disgusting when people don’t wash their hands. Believe it or not, I’ve witnessed grown people not wash their hands properly (with no soap or just no long enough).
- Face Masks. I’m no expert on face masks but I do know that some perform better than others in terms of stopping the spread of germs.
- Flu shot. I personally do not get the flu shot. But I know some spoonies swear by them. Talk it over with your doctor.
Non toxic disinfectants are my weapon of choice to fight flu season. So far it’s been working for me.
However if you have an autoimmune disease and you develop any flu-like symptoms, you should see a doctor right away.