Y’all know I love a good quote. So here are a few self-care quotes I found encouraging during this month. I dedicated the month of September to self-care. Not just because Self Care September sounds cute but because I was in need of TLC just like any everyone else.
Self-care isn’t all manicures and massages. It looks different for everyone. Yes, those are nice treats for ourselves but in essence, self-care is about putting forth the effort to make yourself a priority and tending to the areas that are operating at a negative capacity.
Self Care Quotes for Encouragement
- Affirmations are our mental vitamins, providing the supplementary positive thoughts we need to balance the barrage of negative events and thoughts we experience daily. – Tia Walker
It’s not secret that I love writing affirmations and saying them to myself in the mirror. I used them earlier this year in my self love challenge and have continued to used them daily during my mediation and journaling.
2. Have patience with all things. But, first of all with yourself. – Francis de Sales
This is the perfect self-care quote if you’re anything like me and want to rush your healing journey. I’ve been doing my due diligence in the gym and getting very discouraged when I don’t see instantaneous results.
So then I push myself too hard instead of having patience and trusting the process as they say. So this is a perfect reminder for me to relax and have faith.
3. Imagine if you replaced your vicious stress cycle with a vicious cycle of self care.
4. Self discipline is self caring. – M Scott Peck
I’m not an undisciplined person but I do feel like I can be more discipline in a few areas such as how much time and energy I put into certain things and cracking down on things like frivolous spending in Target or an Amazon. I’m a work in progress. LOL
5. Take time to love yourself today. You deserve it. – Avina Celeste
Every morning I wake up and write a todo list of everything I want to accomplish or tackle that day. If I don’t write out self care, it’s a chance I will skip it. So this self care quote is a reminder to do something slight for myself everyday like meditate or journal.
6. It’s a shame for a woman to grow old without ever seeing the strength and beauty of which her body is capable. – Socarates
As I’m growing in my self care and self love practices I have found an appreciation for my body. I used to look at it in disgust and disdain (if I did work up the courage to look at it).
My body was my enemy or had turned it’s back on me. But now I see my body as the amazing vessel it is. I see the support it has given me through these trying times and how everyday it still gives me its best. So this body is worthy of all the self care I can give it.
7. Knowing how to be solitary is central to the art of loving. When we can be alone, we can be with others without using them as a means to escape. – Bell Hooks
8. The only person you shouldn’t be able to live without is you. – Chris McGeown
I talked previously about the loneliness of chronic illness however, it’s important to note that people are in your life for reasons and seasons. You don’t stop living when someone exits your life. The truth is YOU are living for you. You are lost without YOU.
9. The most powerful relationship you will ever have is the relationship with yourself. – Steve Marabol
10. Learning to love yourself is like learning to walk – essential, life changing and the only way to stand tall. – Vironika Tugaleva
I didn’t know I needed to learn how to self care until I started doing things like this. In true learning fashion there were some stumbles and hiccups and frustrations but now that I have properly learned how to self care my eyes are open in new ways.
11. Everybody is different. Every body is different. – Unknown
In true Spoonie fashion I thought this was the perfect quote to highlight the differences even within the chronic illness world. For example, myasthenia gravis is called the snowflake disease because no two people experience it quite the same.
Also no two people react the same way to the various treatment plans. But this self care quote spoke out to me because I feel like we live in a world of constant comparison and competition. So it’s important for me to remember that I’m different than the next spoonie or I’m different than the next blogger.
My healing journey is my own. I have my own story and it’s coming together just the way it’s supposed to.
12. Love yourself enough to set boundaries. – Anna Taylor
Ahh boundaries. The most significant boundary I have set is not forcing myself to go out and over exert myself when I know that I need rest. My family and friends are now aware that when I say I’m not up to it, there is no wiggle room.
I’m simply not going and I don’t feel guilty about it. It has taken a while (for me to set the boundary, enforce the boundary and to release any guilt around it) but it feels amazing.
13. Self love is asking yourself what you need everyday and then making sure you receive it. – Unknown
Self care doesn’t look the same for everyone and even for the same person it doesn’t look the same everyday. Some days this month I just needed to rest. So that’s what I did. Some days I simply needed to write down some affirmations and journal. Other days I needed to treat myself to something sweet or a new skirt. No two days are exactly the same. I change my self care regimen to meet what my needs are in the moment.
14. Be you, love you. All ways, always. – Alex Elle
I have struggled with being myself way before having Myasthenia Gravis. How can one love themself if they don’t even know who they are. But as I’m getting to know who I am, the good the bad and the crazy I’m making sure that I love myself in the midst of it all. It’s not easy to care for or love the not so amazing parts of ourselves but every part of me is worth of love and care.
Another great Self Care September down in the books. I really hope something I said or did this month resonated with you and your spirit enough for your to know this : Self care is important. You are worthy of self care.
P.S – If you have yet, make sure you sign up to cop your free copy of my 40 Self Care Ideas freebie. It has a bunch of ideas that will take your self care regimen to the next level.